Dear members, dear colleagues,
Encouraged by the success of two previous English Law of Contract Courses and the positive feedback from participants, the UIA invite you to its law course held over two days, from July 13 to 15, 2014.
Registration to the English Contract Law Course is offered as a complete study package, including: enrolment to the course, lunches and dinners, coffee breaks as well as study accommodation at St Catherine's College for 3 nights (Sunday to Tuesday included).
The panel of speakers, eminent English barristers and solicitors (including Nicholas Stewart QC, Samantha Davies, Serena Hedley-Dent and solicitors/lawyers from Farrer & Co, Berwin Leighton Paisner and other firms), will:
- introduce participants to the basic principles of English Contract Law
- explain the most common terms to be found in all contracts, highlighting their practical implications
- warn of potential pitfalls – including guidance as to whether there is a contract or not and to avoid exposing clients unintentionally to legal liabilities
- analyse some of the problems in performance which may affect clients' entitlements or responsibilities under the contract – with particular reference to breach of contract and the remedies available.
There will be a session in which civil lawyers working in London (Gregor Kleinknecht and Ignacio Corbera Dale) comment on English Contract Law, and two final practical drafting sessions on drafting watertight commercial agreements in English under English Law.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The Course is designed for lawyers from non-common law jurisdictions, wishing to become acquainted with the basic principles of English contract law and to improve their knowledge of English legal terminology and contract drafting skills (English being the language most universally used in cross-border commercial agreements). At the same time, the Course offers an opportunity to experience studying and living in an Oxford College.
The maximum number of participants is 32.
ACCREDITATION OF THE COURSE
Every participant attending the entire 2 days Training Course programme will receive a “Certificate of Attendance” at the end of the Course that may be used for obtaining “Credits” for “Continuing Legal Education” - “Continuing Professional Development” purposes, depending on national rules. For more information, please contact the UIA
The sessions will be held in English without simultaneous translation.
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by fax: +33 1 44 88 55 77
- by post: UIA, 25 rue du Jour – 75001 Paris, France
FORWARD TO A COLLEAGUE?
If you have a colleague that might be interested in this Course, whether a member or a non-member of the UIA, may we suggest that you kindly forward this message to him or her. Thank you!
We look forward to welcoming you to Oxford!
UIA Director of Legal Education & Training
UIA Events Co-ordinator - Seminars
© Union Internationale des Avocats - 2013